The ability to communicate effectively is an important part of everyday life. Adults may have specific communication goals, whether it’s speaking more confidently in public, improving articulation or even addressing a life-long speech impediment.
However, attending in-person speech therapy sessions may not be feasible for everyone due to busy schedules, transportation challenges, mobility issues or other reasons. That’s where online speech therapy can help. Often included as in-network coverage by a growing number of payers nationwide – both commercial and Medicare Advantage plans — online speech therapy offers an easily accessible opportunity for adults to improve their communication skills.
Online speech therapy allows our clients to receive speech therapy services from a qualified speech therapist in the comfort of a familiar space, typically a home or office, using a computer or mobile device. This approach can also reduce the anxiety that some people feel when accessing treatment in a public setting.
Online Speech Therapy for Adults is Effective
Research supports the value and effectiveness of online speech therapy vs. in-person therapy as a treatment option for adults with communication challenges. Several studies report positive results:
- A study published in the Journal of Voice found that online speech therapy was effective for treating adults with voice disorders, and that patients reported high levels of satisfaction with the online therapy sessions.
- Several studies published in the International Journal of Telerehabilitation confirm comparable results, including issues with stuttering, speech sound disorders and voice disorders. The review also noted that online therapy can be a convenient and accessible solution for individuals who have limited access to in-person therapy services.
Support for Adult Speech Therapy Goals
Here are some ways that virtual speech therapy can help adults reach their communication goals:
- Personalized Treatment Plans: An online speech therapist will start with an assessment and discussion of your goals and objectives before creating a personalized treatment plan to address your unique challenges and preferences.
- Flexible Scheduling: Online speech therapy sessions can be scheduled at a time that is convenient for you rather than working around a clinical schedule. This can be especially beneficial for busy adults who may have limited availability during traditional business hours.
- Convenient and Accessible: With online speech therapy, you don’t have to worry about transportation or travel time. You can receive therapy services from anywhere with an internet connection, whether you’re at home, at work, or on the go.
- Experienced and Qualified Speech Therapists: Online speech therapists have the knowledge and expertise to help you achieve your communication goals. They can provide individualized feedback and support, as well as monitor your progress over time.
- Cost-Effective: Online speech therapy services can be more cost-effective than in-person therapy sessions, as there are no additional costs associated with travel or facility fees.
To learn more about online speech therapy for adults through Great Speech, schedule an introductory call today.